Satsang means to live as Truth itself, which
means to live as the Self, to live as pure
19. Self-enquiry should continue every moment
of your life, naturally like the act of breathing,
until your last breath. As the Maharshi says,
"Enquire until there is no one left to
20. When you stop thinking, you are no
longer imagining things that are not true.
21. Enquire "Who am I?". Patiently, wisely,
honestly enquire, turning your face towards
awareness within. When you are face to face with
Self only keep quiet. This quietness is no
mentation, it does not stir the "I"-thought. This
quietness is the peace of "Let there be peace."
This quietness is the Eternal abode.
22. The Truth is beyond thought, concept,
and conditioning and this Truth is what you are.
So, stop searching and simply be quiet. Do not stir
a thought nor make any effort and the Truth will
definitely reveal itself to itself. Only the Truth
23. The moment we are free from desire, the
reality of the world vanishes.
24. In fact, I do nothing to anyone.
Everyone receives what he or she desires. Since I
am the Source of consciousness, I allow all desires
to be fulfilled.
25. Seeking of Truth does not imply seeking
anything anywhere whatsoever.
26. Whatever you think you become, so
thinking of any name and form is the same as
thinking of "ego-mind-world-senses-illusion". If
you must think, think of existence, consciousness
and bliss. The best is to simply know that "I am
27. This is the Kali Yuga, so even
rakshashas will incarnate as teachers to mislead
you. Those who must be destroyed by these demons
will be. You must test your Guru! Look at their
peace, their lineage and their teaching. Without
enquiry there is no teaching.
28. If in the midst of all forms one can see
that they are unreal, one perceives the Truth.
29. These misleading teachers are like the
mind. Just stay as awareness beyond mind, much
beyond it. Mind gives you doubts, fears, worries,
and keeps you unaware of That beyond the mind. The
role of mind in the play is to keep the person in
the dark, in the past. Where there is no attachment
to mind there is no time or past. This is the
30. Nothing is born, nothing is destroyed.
Birth and death are perceived through the illusion
of the mind.
31. Fix your mind on the Source, give up all
desires and do not look at any "thing".
32. In knowing Reality you can easily enjoy
the illusory world. Inside you abide alone, and yet
you play in the outside lila [illusory
world]. The world is here to enjoy!
33. Nothing ever happens.
34. The highest goal is gained by those who
know That which is never known.
35. Meditation is always beneficial, even
after enlightenment, because what else can you do?
Meditation means not attaching yourself to anything
which is not everlasting. This keeps you at home.
Sit and meditate as much as you can. Why run about
when you have found peace of mind?
36. Freedom does not depend on what you have
done. You have not to do anything. Simply stay
quiet and dont give rise to any thought
whatsoever. You are not to think for a second, then
see what happens.
37. Anything that you get, you will lose. So
you have to be as you always are by not touching
anything which is not Eternal. If you dont
touch them, every minute you will see that you
always been free. Freedom cannot be won by any
practice. From practice you can only gain material
38. There is no way to freedom. Way means
that you have to start from somewhere and arrive
somewhere else. You need a way only when there is
some distance to travel from where you are. But for
freedom you do not have to go anywhere else. This
creation of distance is the deception of the mind,
so forget about any way and even forget about
freedom. And if you do, stay wherever you are. Stay
as you are wherever you are. Instantly you will
know that you are already that which you wanted.
The search ends. There is no meaning in searching
something which has never been lost. Simply, keep
quiet and dont stir a thought from the mind.
Then you will know who you really are.
39. Simply keep quiet. Then you will see
that you achieve everything. Everything comes to
you. If you dont ask for anything, everything
is offered to you. If you run after things, nothing
can come to you.
40. Krishna has said "When the world around
you is sleeping, you keep awake, and when they are
awake, you sleep." It means, that which they are
doing, when they are awake to their senses, you
dont do. Chasing desires is called sleep.
When they sleep, you remain awake as Self, knowing
"I am Self". They are not doing this therefore they
are sleeping. They will not get anything and they
will repent later. While these people are flowing
downstream, you go upstream, up to the Source. The
whole world is sleeping and the wise man is awake.
He knows that it is all a dream.
41. With the help of your own desire for
abiding happiness, for abiding bliss, for freedom,
you will discover something beyond that which can
be called consciousness. In the realisation of
consciousness you have attained everything that is
worth attaining. It is complete and perfect. It is
42. Your nature is happiness.
43. Love, awakening, happiness, joy, peace
comes from your own Heart and not from anyone
44. Silence is in your Heart. You cannot get
it anywhere else. How to arrive there? By not
making any use of your mind or by not holding on to
any object outside of the Heart. Dont think,
only keep quite. In just one second you can get
peace, in a half second, even half of the half
second is quite enough to give you wisdom, light
and happiness. Dont allow any thought to
interfere. But nobody spends even a quarter of a
second on himself. He spends ninety years loving
other people, and later suffers.
45. Know who you are. In deep sleep, who are
you? It is not a name or form. Find out who you are
46. Mind means "thought". There is no
difference between mind and thought.
47. Can you tell me any thought which does
not belong to the past? That which appears has to
48. Whatever you see, smell, hear, taste or
touch is not real.
49. You dont need any practice. You
may be here in Lucknow or you may be in Jerusalem,
but it doesnt make any difference. What has
to be changed is the peace of mind. I tell you that
you are already in peace, and you have not to get
it in Lucknow. What you get in Lucknow, youre
going to lose it one day. Here you only learn, "I
am already free, I was already free, I will always
be free." If you have the conviction that "I am
suffering", then why can you not have the
conviction that "I dont suffer"? So, don't
think that you are going to get anything new. You
are only advised that "You are already That". Then,
what are you going to lose here, there or
50. Your work has got nothing to do with
your peace of mind. Where does the strength to work
come from? Go back now and see what happens, and
that is the Source of all work. So if you know
this, then youre not going to lose it. You
have to do it. You do not have to think. Simply go
back and see what is the Source of thought, of
51. Nobody is ever born and nobody is ever
going to die. This is the Truth.
52. Doubt is the only obstacle to
enlightenment. If you dont have any doubt,
then you are enlightened. Knowing that "I am not
the body" is quite enough for enlightenment. Simply
say, "I am That. I am not the body, I am not the
senses, not even the mind."
53. There is no difference between dreaming
and waking. Even now you are dreaming. This is also
a dream. If it is not a dream then it must
constantly remain. Reality doesnt disappear.
What disappears is a dream because it is not true.
Truth never disappears. So if you have seen that "I
am not the body, I am That", then this will not
disappear. This is Reality.
54. Whatever you gain will be lost one day.
It will not remain with you forever.
55. The explanations I give you may be
understood by the mind, but this is not the real
understanding. Real understanding cannot be heard
nor understood and cannot even enter the mind.
56. If you don't allow the mind to create a
distance, who goes and where does he go?
57. There is only one true master, and he is
unknown. He has no name, no form and no abode.
58. Do not accept the notion that there is
something superior inside compared to the outside.
You are neither outside nor inside. Your
preconceived idea that "I must experience the inner
presence" will give you an experience of an inner
presence, but it will just be a mental experience
brought about by your belief that there is an inner
presence that can be experienced. Give up this idea
and stay quiet.
59. You have the idea that "letting go" is
something that you have to do. To move from one
place to another may be difficult if the journey is
long and hard. But if you don't have to move at
all, how can you say that it is difficult? Just
give up the idea that you have to do something or
reach somewhere. That's all you have to do.
60. You have been conditioned to believe
that the rope is a snake. The master is needed to
convince you that the rope is really a rope. He
just tells you about what is true and real because
you insist in believing in what is untrue and
unreal. Once you have found your original nature,
you do not need a master anymore.
61. That which appears has to disappear.
62. The master speaks the word of Truth and
the disciple listens. When there is no thought of
result or consequences, the original state reveals
itself to the disciple, who then functions
spontaneously. It just happens by itself.
63. The "I" does not run away. It is "you"
that runs away when God appears.
64. Real Emptiness is not frightening. If
you experienced fear or fright, it was not in a
state of Emptiness. You have never allowed yourself
to experience the Emptiness that is empty of all
objects. Reject all known impressions, all pictures
borrowed from the familiar world of your
65. To think there is "no-mind" is still
thinking. Thinking and not thinking are both normal
functions of the mind. But in your natural being
there is no-thought.
66. When the mind that discriminates
disappears, what is left is the original state.
This is what some people call "prajna" or
67. A mind that doesn't think thoughts,
which is free of the idea of no-thought as well,
can be called a "free-mind".
68. Thought and no-thought exist in relation
to each other. They are both properties of the
mind. "No-mind" is something else. It has no
connection with anything.
69. When the mind is so undressed that it is
free even of no-thinking, there will be nothing
left of mind. While there is the mental state of
no-thought, there is still a place where objects
can land; but when no-thought is thrown away,
leaving only "no-mind", objects cannot land
anymore. In fact, in that state there are no
objects at all.
70. The mind exists in its name only and has
no form of its own. From the Absolute point of
view, the mind does not exist.
71. Don't give rise to any thought. Here is
beauty. This beauty is Self itself.
72. When you stop taking outside activity for
real and know your Self as it always is, you will
be eternally happy. Self is prior to all activity,
all thought. Without Self nothing could appear.
73. When a man is alive he has relations:
wife, sons, in-laws, and so on. When this same man
is dead, he no longer has any relations. While you
are alive, all these relations exist in
relationship to the "I"-thought. "I have a wife; I
have sons; I have in-laws." When that "I"-thought
is there, everything else is there along with it:
this world and all the relationships you have in
it. I am asking you to find out what this
"I"-thought is. Find out where it arises from. If
you can find the solution to this, you will be safe
from suffering. You will have solved the problem of
thinking and the imaginary problems that it brings
74. If you don't address this problem of
"I"-thought, you will end up following the other
sheep of the world. You will follow the sheep in
front of you, and all of you will be herded around
by the shepherd who is following you with a big
stick. Every flock of sheep is herded by a
shepherd. If you stay as a sheep, you will need a
shepherd to tell you what to do and where to go.
But you have never seen a herd of lions being
herded by a shepherd. The lion makes its own way,
makes its own route. It follows no one, and no one
tells it where it should and should not go. To find
freedom you have to stop being a sheep. You have to
stop doing and believing what everyone else
75. No action can lead to happiness.
Happiness is already here in doing nothing.
76. You are already That. This understanding
will rise up and reveal itself to you.
77. Wherever you go, I am.
78. When you wake up from the waking dream
to awareness of the Self, you find yourself in the
place where there are no names and forms. You
understand yourself to be the unmoving substratum
on which all the transitory images, the names and
forms, come and go. You understand yourself to be
the screen on which all the names and forms are
projected. When you are rooted in that place, that
knowledge, names and forms will not cause you
suffering any more. You have to identify with the
underlying screen, not with the transient images
that appear and disappear on it. That screen is
your own true nature. It has no location; it is at
no distance from you; no vehicle is needed to
transport you there.
79. Truth is absolute and immaculate.
80. When you have lost the concept of
duality, of two, oneness also goes.
81. This is the ultimate and final Truth:
there is no bondage, no liberation, and no one even
aspiring for liberation.
82. Investigation and analysing your beliefs
will not help you unless you choose as the subject
for your examination the ego that has all these
83. The primary mistake everyone makes is to
seek happiness from transactions that involve the
84. You have to be serious, and you have to
want freedom to the exclusion of everything else.
Whatever you experience, reject it. Drop the idea
that you are on a route to a destination.
85. This place where the "I" vanishes is
wisdom. Find the thoughtlessness that is there
86. Who and where is this "I" that wants to
be free? This question "Who am I?" will give you an
answer that you have never heard before.
87. You have forgotten the purpose for which
88. In silence, the Witness cannot be
witnessed. In silence, there is nothing and
everything, from beginning to end. There are
billions of beings. There is no witnessing. This is
called "being". Only "being. Who can witness
"being"? Everything is being. Just be.
89. In being there is past, present, future.
You are the past, you are the present, you are the
future. In being, their are billions of beings. You
are all beings. So, what is there to witness? Can
you say, "I witness my hand, I witness my foot?"
No, because you are one and the same thing.
90. You cannot step out of being. Being has
no frontiers, no limitation, no time, no space.
Where can you go and what can you see?
91. Approaching the Self is like walking the
razor's edge: two cannot walk together. You cannot
bring your mind nor even a thought. The only One
who can help you is Self. Anything that touches
this flame becomes a flame. Touch a sage and you
become a sage. Knowing Self, you see only Self and
this Self is your Teacher.
92. Eventually you have to get rid of the
name and form of both master and yourself. You have
to reject the finger in order to see the moon.
Where there is name and form there is falsehood. It
is an impediment to freedom because nothing you see
will give you freedom.
93. Hold on only to Self when you are
drowning. Reach for anything else and you will die.
The Satguru is within, meditate only on That! The
true Teacher is Self. All else is pointing to
94. Don't cling to anything made from the
five elements. The Guru has no body, visible or
invisible. Do not depend on any body. Bodies are
just fingers pointing to the Truth! Reject the form
of the Guru and only the Supreme is left.
95. Now is the time to have a direct
introduction to this moment. This moment is free of
time, of mind, of any notions. Introduce yourself
to this moment.
96. If you listen, if you long for freedom,
and you feel I am honest when I tell you that you
are free, then accept it! Hear this only once and
you are free.
97. Simply keep quiet. Do not do anything
and it will happen. Abandon even the intention to
get something in the next moment. Do not even make
the distinction between "this moment" and "the next
moment". Then something will happen
98. Maya [the illusory dream]
appears together with the "I". Once you realise who
you are, the one Reality, then the many are seen as
One. That One is the Eternal Source and the
fountain of peace. If the Source of maya is peace,
then the nature of maya must be peace. Mind is
maya. Maya is only mind, only thought. So, the
nature of thought is peace. Thought arises from the
fountain of peace. Return to the Source and remain
as That. This is your true nature.
99. Whenever you think, "I" has to arise.
"World" and "I" arise simultaneously. Look towards
That which is aware of this "I". There is no
difference between "I" and thought. "I" is a
thought. Look towards That which is aware of
thought. That is wisdom, peace, stillness,
happiness and Eternal love and is the abode of your
100. Sit down and decide for yourself what
is good for you and follow that. Don't listen to
anyone else the whole world is deceiving
you. The whole world may be against you so you have
to make your own decisions. Don't listen to your
parents, your society or your preachers.
101. When your desires subside, you will
know that nothing has ever existed.
102. When you realise the One, the "many"
will not be seen.
You are dreaming when you see name and form.
104. You do not need to do anything. Just
stop and be quiet. You are not required to do
anything to know who you are.
105. If you don't want anything other than
Truth, instantly you will see that Truth which is
106. Each time that you think, there is
attachment and this inevitably causes suffering.
Freedom is found in the thought-free space between
107. All is in this moment.
108. We live in each others mind and are
sustained by each others thoughts.
109. Events arise due to latent desires. In
reality, no event has ever taken place. Thought is
empty, world is empty. Mind only creates the
illusion that something is happening. Right now,
nothing is happening.
110. I am and That is all. I am the Source
of all. All is nothing. I am nothing at all.
111. Ego can never be silent and needs so
many things to sustain itself. True being requires
112. Silence is the realisation that all is
nothing. In silence, you are lovely and are peace
113. I am that silent presence which is
Eternal. This is who I am.
114. Old habits and body karma persist for
some time, but you remain uninvolved. Peace is your
nature. How could behaviour of mind and body affect
you? All arises from peace, from silence.
115. You may believe that you are free or
not, but freedom is beyond belief. You are already
free. You are always free.
116. It is difficult to understand this so
you must only do it. Let the thoughts rise and
subside like waves moving along the surface of the
ocean. The ocean is not concerned with the rising
or the playing or the falling of the waves. It
knows that the waves cannot leave because the waves
117. Having no other desire apart from the
desire for freedom is called "pure mind".
118. Kabir says, "Remove your veil and you
will see your own beloved seated in your Heart."
What is this veil? Arrogance, egoism. This is the
only veil between you and your beloved, who is
waiting for you.
119. When you see name and form, you are
under the delusion of the mind. Don't stay with or
depend on anything that has name and form. Stay
with the Guru, who has no name and form. Stay with
120. You have troubled your mind for
millions of years by asking it to provide temporary
happiness in an imaginary worldly existence. Stop
asking it for anything and just be still. Then you
will see the Truth that only your Self is real and
that all worldly existence is just the imagination
of mind. Stop imagining that you are something else
and the Self will shine eternally. All darkness
will vanish forever. Do nothing, ask nothing, be
nothing and the Self will instantly appear. In
present being, you are the Self. Your true nature
is bliss, happiness, love, beauty, peace, true
knowledge and Eternity. You will fall in love with
It because It is love itself. It has never left you
and from now on you will never want to leave It.
Until now, fear has prevented you from being your
Self. Thinking that "I have to give up everything"
has scared you for millions of years.
121. When there is no thought, what needs to
be changed or attained?
122. Remain with your own being, with your
own Self. In the Self, all desires are fulfilled.
When there are no more desires, you are at peace.
When you have no concern for any objects, people or
ideas this is peace, this is bliss.
123. The world has appeared through desire,
through ego. Self is free from all desires. It is
the ego who has endless desires. The "I" rises and
with it arises desire, ego and world. All these are
just thoughts. From where does the "I" arise?
Follow the "I"-thought back to it's Source and
remain as That.
124. Return to the Source of all thoughts,
to that Transcendental state where words have no
meaning. You cannot describe That. That Eternity
cannot be described. So the best is to keep quiet.
If a thought rises, find out from where it arose?
When you dig at the root, you will enter a place
where you will be unable to speak.
125. Words, thoughts and fears are all
outside of you.
126. At the Source, nothing needs to be
done. You are. You know that nothing has ever
existed outside of your own being. This is peace,
happiness and bliss. Keep quiet and be as you
127. Someone who does not know his true
nature imposes another nature onto himself. He
becomes "something else". Surrender this imposition
and remain as you truly are.
128. In true love everything that is not
yourself drops off.
129. Supreme devotion is not to give rise to
a single thought.
130. The Truth cannot be spoken of or
described by words.
131. Don't try to understand what is spoken
here. Don't try to listen even. Don't try to have
any notion, and hope that "I will be free." No
ideas about what freedom is. Then the Supreme
Itself will enter into your Heart and sit down
permanently, because It is already there.
132. Walking, talking, sleeping, dreaming or
awakening each day always keep in touch with
133. In freedom there is no right and no
wrong. In freedom there is freedom from right and
wrong. In freedom there is no process, or way, no
here, no there, no that, no in, no out, no will, no
depth, no understanding.
134. Only an unwise person seeks to repeat
old experiences. A wise person knows that every
experience, every delight, is fleeting and will not
touch it. Everyone in the world is unhappy; not a
single person finds happiness because they delight
in old experiences. There is something very
precious which is not stored in memory and it will
bring lasting satisfaction and bliss.
135. With the help of your own desire for
abiding happiness, bliss and freedom, you will
discover something beyond consciousness. In that
discovery you have attained everything that is
worth attaining. It is complete and perfect.
136. Stillness is the greatest achievement
one can have in life.
137. Make sure that no desire arises by just
keeping still. You will be so immaculately
beautiful so perfectly pure and spotless
that everything will instantaneously unfold
138. The Guru has no name and no form, and
there is no difference between Guru, Self and who
you are. You are Eternal Self. When you know this,
you will keep quiet because there is nothing else
to know. Beyond name and form, you remain eternally
present, silent and immobile. All that rises, rises
from Self. All that falls, falls to Self. All that
is present is Self.
139. When the wave rises from the ocean, the
ocean is not affected. The wave rises then falls
back to the ocean. Ocean remains an ocean.
Likewise, the "I", the body, the mind, the
intellect, the senses and the worldly objects all
rise from Reality, yet Reality is not affected.
Eternity has nothing to do with anything that
appears then disappears. Reality remains forever.
It is who you are.
140. You may be doing many things in the
world, but if there is no attachment to the
outcome, to the objects of action, you remain
141. The Satguru is One and within you,
nowhere else. He is in the hearts of all beings. By
his Grace you will look within to your true Guru.
This is what Ramana Maharshi teaches. Peace of mind
is within you and you need not go anywhere else.
Peace is unfolding itself to you.
142. Abide as the Self and do your duties in
the world without being attached to them in any
143. If you go to the cremation grounds in
Varanasi you will see dead bodies burning in the
fire. If you wait for a while you will see that in
the end nothing remains, except for a few ounces of
ashes. You will understand that your body, to which
you are strongly attached, is the same as the other
bodies which have been burnt. Everyone who goes to
a cremation or burial ground receives this
short-lived lesson. You learn that every body will
eventually be burnt to ashes one day, but soon
afterwards you forget this truth. You should
permanently keep this truth in mind. This will help
you to fulfil the purpose for which you wear this
human body. Afterwards, let your body be taken to
the cremation grounds. You will be happy when it is
144. Death is not our nature. Our nature is
Eternity to be free of death and rebirth, of
sorrow and suffering.
145. Who you are is pure consciousness
freedom itself. You need not attain this
freedom; you need only to realise it.
146. That ocean of Eternal peace is you.
What is the difficulty that we suffer from? It is
that we seek peace elsewhere and do not experience
that we are peace incarnate itself.
147. When your intoxication depends on
somebody else you are cheating yourself, you are
deceiving yourself. No good intoxication will come
from any source other than your Self. Nobody will
give you happiness, nobody will give you peace.
Find out yourself. Only a confused mind will think
that there is happiness elsewhere. Love and beauty
will arise if you are quiet for this single
instant. Then you will attain everything.
148. Reality is That which always exists and
149. There was a time when there was only
peace and nothing else. Even the creator was not
created, let alone the creation. Only by returning
There will you find peace, not by meditating or
doing anything else. Here and now we can rediscover
this Source, this fountain of peace from where all
thoughts arise. No one is willing to take this
return journey back to the beginning.
150. Satsang is to know the Truth, the Truth
151. What is the existence of a bubble in
152. Waste no time seeking. Forget what you
153. Before the sun rises early in the
morning it does not first try to remove the
darkness of the night. The sun does not say, "Let
me brush away the darkness and only then, in the
daytime, I will rise." For the sun there is no
light, there is no darkness to be removed.
154. You are all lions, so go your own way.
Do not follow any path. Lions do not follow each
other like sheep.
155. Look within at this Light. With this
Light you will see your Eternal face. You will see
your own beauty for the first time.
156. You have not to do anything. If you are
doing or not doing anything, you still see the same
157. We are all One there is no
separation between us, only we do not realise it.
Everybody is related to you.
158. First help yourself which means
to not think. And then if you still need to you can
ask me for help.
159. You have to simply become aware of the
movement of the mind, which begins this endless
trouble. That something is arising out of
consciousness is only a concept, and it is this
which gives rise to the myth of an individual
identity. "I am" is the first movement of the mind
and from here arises the trouble.
160. Make sure that no desire arises and you
will be so immaculately beautiful so
perfectly pure and spotless that everything
will instantaneously be unfolding before you. Then
this beauty will hug Beauty itself.
161. Quietness is your nature and the
substratum of everything that is seen.
162. When you are in meditation you do not
need to look after yourself. A power will arise
which is moving the earth, which is causing the sun
to shine, which is giving the moon its brilliance.
If you are atuned to that power you will have
nothing to do and everything will be beautiful.
That power will look after in a way you cannot
163. Actually, nobody is born and nobody
dies. It is the mind that gives birth to this whole
world. The person is just a temporary appearance in
the unchanging Self.
164. Just keep quiet and then see what you
165. All happiness comes from the Self. All
trouble, sorrow and suffering comes from the
166. You are complete here and now. You do
not need the sheeps fold, nor any religion, because
you are always free.
167. You become a slave to anything that you
168. All thoughts are lies! Just forget
everything and stay quiet.
169. If thought comes from nowhere, it must
be nothing. How can something exist in nothing?
170. Be here! You need not think or use
mind. This is peace and beauty.
171. Happiness and sorrow depend on
"something" and can be lost. Freedom from
"everything" depends on nothing and cannot be
172. The universe is but a long dream. The
ego-sense and the idea that "there are others" are
as real as dream-objects.
173. Self alone remains when all points of
views are abandoned. The question, "Who does what
and how?" is absurd.
174. After all appearances are rejected, the
Truth remains. When the Truth is known, all
descriptions cease and silence alone remains.
175. The "individual", the "world" and the
"supreme Self" are all concepts.
176. If there is craving, do not fulfil it.
What difficulty is there in this?
177. Everything is as it is; nothing has
ever been created. Nothing has happened and nothing
is going to happen.
178. The root cause of duality is that you
sensed your own beingness. The very experience of
your beingness is untrue.
179. Concepts arise when infinite
consciousness views itself as the object of
180. Keep you mind motionless at all